Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Shitty Things We Do In Life...

Photobucket

Band: Municipal Waste
Album: The Fatal Feast
Genre: Thrash Metal/Crossover

Do any of you remember that utterly hushing silence that came just after your first full listen to Municipal Waste's 2009 effort Massive Aggressive?   If so, do any of you remember telling yourself some line of bullshit like, "Maybe next time," or something along those lines?  Well, if you do, let's just say you and I were sorely mistaken...because Municipal Waste, has officially let us down again.

This being their fifth studio album to date, I was interested to see how the band would bounce back from their previous effort, mentioned above.  I think it's safe to say that the true fans of Municipal Waste miss the no-holds barred, in your face sound that they harnessed on 2005's Hazardous Mutation.  It's the definitive MW sound...and it's now long gone.  The band seems to have lost any touch for the genre that they once had the ability to hone in on.  I mean, yeah, there are some really catchy riffs on the album  (Examples can be found in tracks like "Jesus Freaks," "You're Cut Off," and "Authority Complex."), but for the most part, this album is just pure dribble.

More than anything, I found myself cringing at the lack of enthusiasm behind the vocals of Tony Foresta.  His vocals are so clunky and childish at some points, I had to wonder to myself if this style was some sort of sick joke that all the band was laughing at upon their first listen of the finished product.  Aside from the vocals, all of the songs sound rushed, musically under-utilized, and above all, gawky.  There seems to be a lack of fluidity that gives the album a choppy overall sound.  

Now, don't get me wrong, this album isn't great, but that isn't to say it doesn't have it's noteworthy, mentionable aspects.  For one, Ryan Waste's solos on the album sound very clean and inspired.  It's definitely interesting to hear when they pop up.  Though they aren't long or drawn-out opus' of guitar mastery by any means, but they add a little sophistication to the album, for sure.  Also, the production for the album sounds pristine.  While I don't like the music very much at all, I will give a good word to the tones on the guitars, as well as the overall mix of the album.

The thing I found most disappointing about this album is knowing that this is the bands fifth release in nine years of putting out full-length material, and it seems like all of their musical aesthetic and writing abilities disappeared.  All that Municipal Waste is doing on this album is riding off of their name that they built up many years ago.  Close to any and all of the material recorded on The Fatal Feast sounds completely rehashed and boring.  I have no doubt that the band could put out some good music.  They sound like they still have the capability as far as performing goes.  They just need to get their nose back in the books and start writing some music that everyone hasn't already heard.

As far as an overall verdict for this one goes - Don't go out of your way to hear this album, like I did.  You'll find yourself very disappointed.  That being said, I wouldn't necessarily say don't listen to it either.  All one can really say about this album is that it's bound to fall into obscurity relatively quickly.  If you're new to Municipal Waste, I'd say listen to Hazardous Mutation.  If you've been listening to the band for a while...I'd also recommend you listen to Hazardous Mutation.  I know I'm going to in the hopes of getting this awful sound out of my ears.

Score: 4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment